I like the random. Somewhat. I am going to vow to follow these rules as set forth by the Classics Club at http://www.theclassicsclubblog.wordpress.com
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by December 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
Monday, October 3: And it’s number 1! I’ll read The Late George Apley by John Marquand
Here is my list:
- John P. Marquand: The Late George Apley
- Barbara Pym: Some Tame Gazelle
- Somerset Maugham: Of Human Bondage
- John Galsworthy: The Man of Property
- Anthony Trollope: Autobiography
- Elizabeth Taylor: The Soul of Kindness
- Thomas Mann: Death in Venice
- Thomas Hardy: Desperate Remedies
- Henry James: Daisy Miller
- Sinclair Lewis: The Job: An American Novel
- Edith Wharton: The Bunner Sisters
- Clemence Dane: Regiment of Women
- Sarah Orne Jewett: The Country of the Pointed Firs
- Betty Smith: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- Herman Melville: Benito Cereno
- Iris Murdoch: The Nice and the Good
- Anthony Hecht: Complete Poetry
- Elizabeth Bishop: Complete Poems
- Katherine Mansfield: Short Stories (Complete)
- Shakespeare: King Lear